Tuesday, June 7, 2011

An Interview with Jennifer Burghard, Oak Forest High School's 2011 Salutatorian

Acorn Library shelver, Jennifer Burghard, is Oak Forest High School's 2011 Salutatorian! We are so proud of Jen, and thought it would be a great idea to interview her for our Youth Services blog to learn a bit more about her!

-How does it feel to the the 2011 Oak Forest High School Salutatorian?

Jen: It's an honor to be recognized for all the hard work I have put into my schoolwork for the past four years.

-What do you attribute your success to?

Jen: I think it has been really helpful for me to challenge myself and not hesitate to take more difficult classes. A lot of people advised me against taking so many difficult or AP classes, but I think taking these classes has really allowed me to get the most out of my high school education. It's also important to stay dedicated to school and schoolwork, especially when "senioritis" begins to kick in!

-Who inspires you?

Jen: It may seem cliché to say my parents, but they have truly set the best example for me in terms of staying dedicated and working toward a greater purpose. I have also has some amazing teachers who have gotten me interested in so many different subjects and have really influenced me in my desire to pursue a higher education.

-Besides excelling in school, and being a stellar library employee, what other activities are you involved in?

Jen: I have been on the tennis team for 4 years. I was editor of the yearbook for 3 years and editor-in-chief this year. I taught a 4th grade CCD class at St. Damian for 3 years. I have also been involved in NHS and Bengal tutors at school.

-Which college are you headed to and what do you plan on majoring in?

Jen: I am planning on attending Loyola University in the fall. I'm thinking about majoring in something in the field of education-I am not sure exactly what, but I enjoy working with kids.

-Where do you see yourself in 20 years?

Jen: I honestly have no picture of anything specific, I just hope that wherever I am, I am happy, and that I can use the education I plan to achieve to the benefit of others.

-What are your plans for the summer?

Jen: I plan of RELAXING and enjoying not having any homework! I also have to get organized and go shopping for everything I am going to need before I leave for school in the fall.

-If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Jen: I would LOVE to have the opportunity to travel-I'm actually hoping to participate in a study abroad program while I'm in college. I would especially love to see Europe, there's so much art and history there that I would love to learn about.

No comments: